Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Inc. (WBIE) – A worldwide publisher of video games.
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Inc. (WBIE) is a division of Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group and a worldwide developer, publisher, licensor and distributor of video games for both third party and internal titles. They are most renowned for such series as Batman, The Witcher, Injustice, Lord of the Rings Online and Lego.
In 1995, Warner Bros. Interactive licensed out their first game property under their current name, Batman Forever to Acclaim Entertainment.They continued to license games based on Cartoon Network, DC Comics, Hanna-Barbera, Looney Tunes and various Warner Bros. film properties over the years to such video game publishers as Ubisoft, EA, Infogrames and THQ. In 2004, Warner Bros. acquired developer Monolith Productions and in 2005, the WB Games label was created.
In 2007, the company’s goal was for a five-year plan to expand in the video game industry, which includes the acquisition of studios for internal development and the creation of a studio (WB Games) in the Seattle area that will run all the games published and developed by the company; starting with the acquisition of TT Games that same year.
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group announced on April 20, 2010 the acquisition of Turbine, Inc. the developer of the famous company MMOs Asheron's Call, Dungeons & Dragons Online and Lord of the Rings Online. Also, after Kevin Tsujihara became chairman and CEO of Warner Bros. Entertainment, he promoted Diane Nelson to the post of President and Chief Content Officer of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.
Acquisitions and Partnerships:
- Monolith Productions in Kirkland, Washington, founded in 1994, acquired in 2004
- NetherRealm Studios in Chicago, founded as Midway Games Chicago in 1988, acquired from Midway Games on July 27, 2009 and renamed in 2010
- Rocksteady Studios in London, founded in 2004 and majority stake acquired in February 2010
- TTGames in Maidenhead, England, founded in 2005, acquired November 8, 2007
- Traveller's Tales in Knutsford, England, founded in 1989, reorganized as division of TT Games in 2005
- TT Fusion in Wilmslow, England, founded in 2005 as Embryonic Studios, acquired by TT Games in 2006
- Turbine in Needham, Massachusetts, founded in 1994, acquired in 2010
- Warner Bros. Games Montréal in Montreal, founded in 2010
- Warner Bros. Games San Francisco in San Francisco, founded in 2010
- Snowblind Studios in Kirkland, Washington, founded in 1997, acquired in 2009. Merged into Monolith Productions in 2012.
- Surreal Software in Kirkland, Washington, founded in 1995, acquired from MidwayGames on July 27, 2009. Merged into Monolith Productions in 2010.